Spurs get past Kings, snap three-game skidFeb 2, 2014 - 6:34 AM Sacramento Kings on Saturday.
Tony Parker added 18 points and 10 assists, Patty Mills poured in 15 and Boris Diaw finished with 14 for the Spurs, who snapped a three-game slide.
"What's important is winning," said Popovich. "It didn't matter if we won five in a row or lost five in a row, we play each game and try to win then move on to the next one."
Isaiah Thomas scored a game-high 26 points and Rudy Gay added 23 points, seven rebounds, six assists and five steals for the Kings, losers in seven straight.
"Playoff teams, we're playing them down to the wire," said Gay. "For us to get over that hump we have to continue to play great defense like we've been doing."
The Kings led 80-71 after Ben McLemore's jumper less than a minute into the fourth, but a 9-0 run tied the game at 80-80.
Derrick Williams was fouled attempting a 3-pointer at the other end, and knocked down all three subsequent free throws, but a Matt Bonner triple with just over 7 1/2 minutes remaining knotted things up at 83-83.
The teams traded blows until Parker's 3-pointer for 56 seconds left gave the Spurs the lead for good, 94-91.
Thomas hit a jumper to make it a one-point game, but Parker split a pair of free throws with .5 seconds left to seal the win.
The Spurs led 27-24 after the first quarter, but trailed 53-52 at the break. A Parker layup with 8:20 left in the third gave the Spurs a 61-58 lead, but the Kings outscored San Antonio 20-10 the rest of the way to take a 78-71 led into the final frame.
Each Spurs player that appeared in the game had at least two points ... The Spurs outscored the Kings 42-34 in the paint ... Williams finished with 14 points and Jason Thompson added 10 points and seven boards for the Kings.
Feb 1 11:02 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 78
SAN ANTONIO: 71
End of 3rd
Feb 1 10:26 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 53
SAN ANTONIO: 52
Feb 1 9:39 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 24
SAN ANTONIO: 27
End of 1st
Feb 1 9:04 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:40
Feb 1 8:45 PM
- Spurs-Thunder Preview May 23
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12