Howard, Rockets dispatch TimberwolvesFeb 11, 2014 - 5:14 AM
Chandler Parsons tallied 20 points and six assists, while James Harden added 19 points for Houston, which has won a season-high six straight games.
"We didn't try to rush shots and rush down the floor and take bad shots. We took our time, shared the ball and got good shots," Howard said.
Minnesota was still without two of its starters, guard Kevin Martin (thumb) and center Nikola Pekovic (ankle), but did get All-Star Kevin Love back. He missed two of his team's last three games due to seperate injuries. He sat out last Wednesday's loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder due to a stiff neck, and couldn't go during Saturday's loss to the Portland Trail Blazers because of a bruised left quadriceps.
Love had 31 points and 10 boards for the Wolves, who have dropped four consecutive tilts.
Minnesota head coach Rick Adelman missed Monday's game for personal reasons. Terry Porter filled in for him, as he did during Adelman's 11-game absence in January of 2013, reportedly for spending time with his ailing wife.
"Unfortunately for us, we couldn't make shots," Porter said. "Guys that normally make shots struggled."
After Howard's bank shot staked Houston to an 81-66 lead a little past the midway point of the third, the Wolves countered with a 12-1 run to close the frame to get back in it.
Love had six points during the surge, including a bank shot to cap it and whittle the deficit to 82-78 after three.
The Rockets, though, netted the first 11 points of the fourth to regain control.
Parsons' dunk gave Houston a 93-78 cushion with 6:24 to go and the Rockets cruised to an easy win from there.
Earlier, Houston led 34-28 after a quarter of play and 67-58 at the break.
Houston scored 20 points off 17 Minnesota turnovers ... Chase Budinger had 15 points and seven rebounds for the Wolves against his former team ... Minnesota shot just 35.6 percent (31-of-87).
Feb 10 10:20 PM
- HOUSTON: 82
End of 3rd
Feb 10 9:57 PM
- HOUSTON: 67
Feb 10 9:11 PM
- HOUSTON: 34
End of 1st
Feb 10 8:39 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:45
Feb 10 8:11 PM
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Zach LaVine wins NBA Cares Community Assist award for April May 9
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28