Love's first triple-double fuels Wolves past JazzFeb 23, 2014 - 5:45 AM Utah Jazz.
Love, who had 42 points and 16 rebounds in a win against Indiana on Wednesday, made 6-of-10 3-point shots against the Jazz. Love had his fourth straight 30-plus point game, equaling Kevin Garnett's franchise record. Love extended his 25-plus point/10-plus rebound string to nine games, which is the longest streak since Karl Malone had 10 of those games during the 1991-92 season.
"It just shows, at least for this year and through my first six years in the league, how my game has progressed," Love said. "Being able to find different guys, I think it's a product of these guys being out, we have to step out different ways."
Ricky Rubio added 15 points and seven assists, while Chase Budinger and Corey Brewer both scored 13 in Minnesota's third straight win, which equals a season-best.
Enes Kanter had a career-high 25 points to pace Utah. The Jazz, who lost for the third consecutive time, received 16 points from Trey Burke, 15 from Alec Burks and 14 from Richard Jefferson.
The Timberwolves didn't trail after finishing a 10-2 run in the opening quarter. Love's jumper capped the rally for a 14-9 lead at the midway point. The visitors claimed a 26-21 lead after the first quarter.
The Jazz managed to tie the contest three times in the second quarter, Minnesota was able to assume control before the break. Rubio's layup gave the Timberwolves the lead for good at 43-41 with 3:32 left. Budinger's 3-pointer widened the margin to 54-45, and Minnesota went to the break with a 59-49 cushion.
Love scored 22 of Minnesota's 35 third-quarter points. He was 5-of-7 from long distance in the period, while the Jazz as a team failed on all five of their shots from beyond the arc. The result was the Timberwolves gaining a 94-81 lead going to the fourth.
Minnesota led by as many as 23 in the last quarter.
"They are one of the better teams in the league on smart transition basketball. We talked about it. We just didn't execute it very well," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. "We were still looking a few times. You know they run on makes and misses. Kevin Love is tremendous at getting the ball out quick and throwing the advance pass."
Minnesota has won all three meeting this season by a combined 58 points ... Dante Cunningham had 11 points for the Timberwolves ... Minnesota held a 49-34 rebounding advantage ... Nikola Pekovic (ankle) and Kevin Martin (finger) missed the game for the Timberwolves.
Feb 22 11:20 PM
- MINNESOTA: 94
End of 3rd
Feb 22 10:52 PM
- MINNESOTA: 59
Feb 22 10:08 PM
- MINNESOTA: 26
End of 1st
Feb 22 9:35 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:44
Feb 22 9:12 PM
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Zach LaVine wins NBA Cares Community Assist award for April May 9
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Thibodeau's role w/Wolves: 'It's about alignment, not power' Apr 26