Love helps Timberwolves down SunsFeb 26, 2014 - 7:30 AM
Shabazz Muhammad tallied a career-high 20 points off the bench and Corey Brewer added 18 for the Timberwolves, who have won four of five.
Markieff Morris led Phoenix with 24 points, while Gerald Green and Goran Dragic netted 19 and 16, respectively, in the Suns' second straight loss.
P.J. Tucker pulled down a career-high 16 rebounds in the setback.
Morris hit a jumper with just under 3 1/2 minutes left to give the Suns a 97-96 lead. Brewer then scored the next four points to start a 9-0 run that Love capped with a 3-pointer to make it a 10-point game with 30.9 seconds left.
The Suns missed all eight of their field goal attempts since the Morris bucket gave them the lead, with four free throws being the only points scored in the closing minutes.
"With five minutes to go in the game it's a timeout, we said the team that makes the most stops will win the game," said Minnesota coach Rick Adelman. "We were physical, rebound the ball well, and won the game."
Phoenix led by as many as eight in the quarter before the visitors clawed their way back into the game before Minnesota's late run sealed it.
There were six ties and five lead changes in the first half, as the Timberwolves led 34-28 after one quarter, but the Suns grabbed a 57-55 lead at the break.
Phoenix brought an 81-75 lead into the fourth quarter before faltering late.
"It kind of ended how it started," said Green. "They were able to get things going in the beginning and got things going at the end."
Nikola Pekovic missed his 13th straight game for Minnesota with an ankle injury and Kevin Martin missed his seventh straight with a fractured thumb ... Minnesota shot 42-of-87 (48.3 percent) from the field. The Timberwolves are 9-0 this season when shooting better than 49 percent ... Phoenix outrebounded its counterpart, 50-38 ... The Suns defeated Minnesota, 104-103, on Jan. 8.
Feb 25 11:27 PM
- MINNESOTA: 75
End of 3rd
Feb 25 10:48 PM
- MINNESOTA: 55
Feb 25 10:06 PM
- MINNESOTA: 34
End of 1st
Feb 25 9:35 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:50
Feb 25 9:16 PM
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Zach LaVine wins NBA Cares Community Assist award for April May 9
- Thibodeau's role w/Wolves: 'It's about alignment, not power' Apr 26
- Timberwolves hire Thibodeau as coach/president, Layden is GM Apr 20
- Minnesota Timberwolves hire Tom Thibodeau as coach and president, Scott Layden as GM Apr 20