Pelicans outlast Lakers in shootoutMar 5, 2014 - 7:40 AM New Orleans Pelicans take a 132-125 win over the Los Angeles Lakers at Staples Center.
Eric Gordon scored 28 points and Tyreke Evans finished with 24 points, seven rebounds and 11 assists for Pelicans, who snapped an eight-game losing streak.
"I liked the fact that we were able to take a punch tonight and then give it back and close out a game," said Pelicans coach Monty Williams.
Pau Gasol had 29 points and 12 rebounds, Kent Bazemore scored 23 and Jordan Farmar added 20 points and eight assists for the Lakers, losers in four of their last six games.
"We kind of had an emotional hangover to start. Took us at least two quarters to get into anybody. You've got to every night bring it," said Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni. "It's our fault. We can defend a whole heck of a lot better than that."
The Pelicans shot 58.3 percent in the first quarter to race out to a 35-23 lead. Davis scored 17 points on 6-of-7 shooting over the first 12 minutes and Gordon chipped in with 10 in the frame.
The Lakers were within nine, 51-42, following Jodie Meeks' reverse layup at the 5:25 mark, but a 16-6 run allowed New Orleans to go up 67-48. Meeks hit a 3-pointer with three seconds left in the half to send the Lakers into the break trailing 67-51.
The Pelicans led by 21 early in the third, but the Lakers were able to cut the deficit to just six, 91-85, later in the period. The Pelicans scored the final four points of the stanza to make it 95-85 entering the fourth.
MarShon Brooks' finger roll 2 1/2 minutes into the fourth had LA within four, 97-93, but the Pelicans managed to push their spread back to double digits before going up 119-107 with just under five minutes left.
The Lakers continued to chip away as Meeks buried a 3-pointer with 1:46 left to make it 128-124. Gasol split a pair of free throws moments later that had LA within three, but the hosts were held scoreless the rest of the way.
The Pelicans shot 59.7 percent from the field and the Lakers shot 54.1 percent ... Brian Roberts scored 19 points and Austin Rivers scored 12 for the Pelicans ... Meeks finished with 17 points and Xavier Henry scored 12 in the setback ... LA scored 25 points off 15 New Orleans turnovers.
Mar 5 1:00 AM
- NEW ORLEANS: 95
LOS ANGELES: 85
End of 3rd
Mar 5 12:18 AM
- NEW ORLEANS: 67
LOS ANGELES: 51
Mar 4 11:36 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 35
LOS ANGELES: 23
End of 1st
Mar 4 11:07 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Quarter - 11:35
Mar 4 10:44 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Kobe Bryant's animated short gets assist from John Williams May 5
- Former Lakers coach Byron Scott 'shocked' over firing May 5