Okur's 3-pointer lifts Jazz past SuperSonicsDec 3, 2006 - 5:11 AM SALT LAKE CITY (Ticker) -- Mehmet Okur must have taken some notes from Luke Ridnour.
Okur hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 1.6 seconds remaining to lift the Utah Jazz to a thrilling 109-107 victory over the Seattle SuperSonics.
Seattle was coming off Friday's 105-103 home triumph over Indiana in which Ridnour hit the game-winning floater in the lane as time expired. One night later, it was Okur's turn.
Deron Williams misfired on a jumper but Carlos Boozer grabbed the offensive rebound and scored with 11 seconds left to give the Jazz a 106-105 advantage.
However, Ray Allen responded by scoring on a driving layup over defensive demon Andrei Kirilenko to help Seattle regain the lead with seven seconds to go, setting the stage for Okur.
"There's not a time I'll back down from that," said Allen, who scored 33 points.
The Jazz did not call a timeout. Williams pushed the ball upcourt and found Okur, who was wide open on the right wing for the game-winning shot.
"I looked at Coach (Jerry Sloan) and he said go, so I just pushed it up," Williams said. "I was going to go to the hole but I saw Memo (Okur) running the floor, pitched it to him and he made a great shot."
"Right place, right time. I think D-Will did a great job, he pushed the ball hard," Okur said. "We had a chance for a timeout but Jerry said no timeout, just keep pushing the ball on the floor. I think he made a great pass, I was open and I just hit the shot."
The SuperSonics had a chance to win, but Allen missed a long 3-pointer at the buzzer.
Boozer scored 24 points and Williams added 18 and nine assists for the Jazz, who shot 51 percent (41-of-80) from the field. Okur scored 12 points.
"When we executed our offense, we did all right," Sloan said. "We got the ball inside, we got some easy baskets and made some nice plays."
Utah rookie Paul Millsap recorded his second career double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
"That's my thing when I come off the bench," Millsap said. "Try to bring energy to the court and have my teammates feed off that."
Rashard Lewis had 27 points and eight rebounds and Ridnour added 13 points and 10 assists for Seattle, which shot 46 percent (33-of-71) and erased a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- Kobe scores 60 points in unbelievable farewell victory Apr 14
- Warriors' chase, Kobe's finale highlight NBA's final night Apr 13
- Jazz-Lakers Preview Apr 12
- 12 important moments in Kobe Bryant's remarkable career Apr 12
- Mavericks clinch playoff spot with 101-92 win over Jazz Apr 12
- Jazz use 24-0 run in 3rd quarter to beat Nuggets 100-84 Apr 11
- Mavericks-Jazz Preview Apr 10
- Jazz-Nuggets Preview Apr 9