Davis, Warriors win fourth straight, beat GrizzliesApr 7, 2007 - 5:27 AM MEMPHIS, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Baron Davis wanted to show his Golden State Warriors teammates he doesn't want to end 2006-07 in the regular season.
Davis had 31 points, eight rebounds and nine assists as the Warriors posted a 116-104 victory over the lowly Memphis Grizzlies, who have lost four straight.
Monta Ellis had 20 points, eight rebounds and eight assists and Jason Richardson added 19 points for Golden State (37-39), which moved within one game of the idle Los Angeles Clippers (37-37) for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
"We're happy with the win," Warriors coach Don Nelson said. "It keeps us in contention and gives us a free swing at San Antonio tomorrow."
"We needed this win because we know tomorrow is going to be a tough game back-to-back, playing San Antonio," Ellis added. "This was going to make us or break us."
Davis shot 11-of-19 from the floor, including 4-of-9 from 3-point range for the Warriors, who recorded just their 10th road win of the season. It was Davis' seventh 30-plus game of the season.
Stephen Jackson had 12 points and seven assists and reserve Matt Barnes added 10 points for Golden State, which shot 50 percent (42-of-84) and had a 28-14 assist advantage vs. Memphis.
"My goodness, man, this is a tough place to win," Davis said. "They never stop playing. They're well coached and they've got some good young talent. The Grizzlies are not as bad as their record would reflect."
Tarence Kinsey scored a career-high 28 points - his sixth 20-plus point game in his last eight contests - and Pau Gasol added 21 and 11 rebounds for the Grizzlies, who also shot 50 percent (34-of-68) but fell to a league-worst 19-58.
"The guys told me I needed to be more aggressive out there," Kinsey said. "I'm just trying to do anything I can to help the team win. I've been able to get a lot of confidence by getting to play a lot of minutes, and I'm trying to do my best to take advantage of the situation."
GOLDEN STATE 116
MEMPHIS 104 FINAL
Apr 6 10:33 PM
GOLDEN STATE 80
MEMPHIS 82 END, 3RD QTR
Apr 6 9:57 PM
GOLDEN STATE 61
MEMPHIS 60 HALFTIME
Apr 6 9:14 PM
GOLDEN STATE 33
MEMPHIS 28 END, 1ST QTR
Apr 6 8:40 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Zhou Qi's potential could lead to much NBA draft intrigue May 20
- Gary Payton unimpressed by Stephen Curry's unanimous MVP May 20