Smith, Hawks spoil Lewis' debut for MagicOct 9, 2007 - 2:07 AM ORLANDO, Florida (Ticker) -- Rashard Lewis had a less than stellar preseason debut for the Orlando Magic.
Josh Smith had 22 points and 11 rebounds and Marvin Williams scored 19 points as the Atlanta Hawks spoiled Lewis' first contest with the Magic, posting a 94-93 victory in the preseason opener for both clubs on Monday night.
Joe Johnson and Josh Childress scored 12 points apiece for the improving Hawks, who have not made the playoffs since the strike-shortened 1998-99 season.
The 6-10 Lewis averaged a career-high 22.4 points and 6.6 rebounds in 60 games last campaign with the Seattle SuperSonics - his ninth in the NBA. The 2005 All-Star was drafted by the Sonics out of high school in 1998 and has increased his scoring average in all but one campaign since.
As a result, the Magic inked Lewis this summer to the largest contract in franchise history and the fourth-biggest current deal in the NBA. But in his preseason debut on Monday, he scored just eight points on 3-of-10 shooting.
The athletic frontcourt combination of Smith and Williams fared much better, combining to shoot 11-of-21 from the field and 18-of-24 from the free-throw line.
Trailing, 81-72, with 7:57 left in the fourth quarter, the Hawks closed out the game on a 22-12 spurt to secure the victory. Center Shelden Williams scored 12 points during the run.
Dwight Howard collected 30 points and 11 rebounds for the Magic, who shot just 41 percent (38-of-92).
ORLANDO 93 FINAL
Oct 8 9:39 PM
ORLANDO 68 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 8 8:56 PM
ORLANDO 42 HALFTIME
Oct 8 8:11 PM
ORLANDO 22 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 8 7:37 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8