Brewer dazzles as Jazz beat Yi, BucksOct 14, 2007 - 3:22 AM By Dave Cotey PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer
MILWAUKEE (Ticker) -- Ronnie Brewer continues to make a strong case for a starting spot.
Brewer had 28 points and five steals and Deron Williams scored 14 as the Utah Jazz coasted to a 92-78 preseason victory over the Milwaukee Bucks on Saturday.
All-Star center Mehmet Okur netted 12 points for the Jazz, who shot just 38 percent (29-of-76) from the floor and forced an eye-popping 30 turnovers.
Taken 14th overall in 2006, Brewer struggled to find consistent playing time in coach Jerry Sloan's rotation. The 6-7 swingman averaged just 4.6 points in 56 games during his rookie campaign.
Brewer's performance spoiled the home debut for Bucks rookie Yi Jianlian, who scored 13 points in his first preseason start on 6-of-13 shooting.
Still adjusting to the NBA, the 19-year-old ran the floor well when rested, but at times appeared fatigued and stood bent over with his hands on his knees, resulting in eight turnovers. Yi was selected sixth overall in June's draft.
Mo Williams scored 22 points and former No. 1 overall pick Andrew Bogut added 10, seven rebounds and four blocks for the Bucks, who shot 41 percent (28-of-68).
- Bucks say IRS, FBI investigating email scam targeting team May 19
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Blazers' McCollum wins NBA's Most Improved Player Apr 22
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- Bucks step back on court, but future secure with new arena Apr 14
- 76ers counting on free agents, draft picks for better future Apr 14
- Kobe scores 60 points in unbelievable farewell victory Apr 14
- Police: Woman hurt trying to slide down rail at Bucks game Apr 14
- NBA Capsules Apr 14
- Solomon Hill scores 25, Pacers beat Bucks 97-92 Apr 13