Hill's debut a success as Suns beat KingsOct 12, 2007 - 4:35 AM SACRAMENTO, California (Ticker) -- The run-and-gun show that is the Phoenix Suns was back in action Thursday night, and veteran Grant Hill had no problem fitting in with his new team.
Hill scored 17 points and added eight rebounds in his debut and disgruntled forward Shawn Marion collected 18 points and 12 rebounds as the Suns posted a 110-99 victory over the Sacramento Kings in their preseason opener.
Marion, a four-time All-Star, requested a trade in the offseason after failing to secure a contract extension but has remained with Phoenix and promised the issue wouldn't affect his performance. If his first game is any indication, he's right.
He shot 7-of-10 from the floor and showed his versatility by adding four assists and a pair of blocked shots.
The Suns shot 51 percent (39-of-76) from the floor and had seven players in double figures, despite playing without All-Star center Amare Stoudemire.
Stoudemire is expected to be out until later this month. He underwent successful arthroscopic knee surgery on October 2.
All-Star point guard Steve Nash orchestrated the Suns' attack, dishing out 11 assists to go along with three points.
Kevin Martin scored 17 points and Mike Bibby added 10 for Sacramento, which was without first-round pick Spencer Hawes. The 10th pick overall, Hawes had arthroscopic knee surgery on Wednesday.
Quincy Douby, who is battling for the Kings' backup point guard, added 17 points.
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Tuesday's Sports in Brief Apr 20
- AP Sources: Kings to interview Del Negro, Jackson, Mitchell Apr 20
- Suns remove 'interim' tag, retain Earl Watson as coach Apr 19
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14
- Kings fire coach George Karl after 1 full season Apr 14