Howard, Harris lead Mavericks over HornetsOct 22, 2007 - 3:19 AM DALLAS (Ticker) -- Josh Howard scored 22 points and Devin Harris added 19 as the Dallas Mavericks posted a 103-97 victory over the New Orleans Hornets in a preseason contest on Sunday night.
Reigning MVP Dirk Nowitzki scored 14 points for the Mavericks, who shot a sizzling 51 percent (39-of-77) from the field and outscored the Hornets, 33-14, in the third quarter to secure the victory.
Dallas played without starters Jason Terry and Erick Dampier, who has a right shoulder injury. Pivotal reserve Devean George also sat out with a stress reaction in his right foot.
But the Mavericks had more than enough offense thanks to Howard, who was suspended for the first two games of the regular season on Friday after an altercation with Sacramento Kings center Brad Miller on Tuesday night.
The incident started when Miller shoved Harris from behind as the two were running back up court, sparking a heated confrontation between the two.
As players from both gathered at mid-court, Howard retaliated for his teammate by throwing a forearm from behind at Miller - getting him booted from the contest.
In his one, Howard shot 9-of-14 from the field, including 3-of-4 on 3-pointers, and Harris was 7-of-11 from the floor, including 2-of-4 from the arc, for Dallas, which was outscored by 13 points in the final period.
Chris Paul had 16 points and 11 assists and Rasual Butler added 13 points for the Hornets, who had seven players score in double figures.
NEW ORLEANS 97
DALLAS 103 FINAL
Oct 21 10:29 PM
NEW ORLEANS 66
DALLAS 85 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 21 9:57 PM
NEW ORLEANS 52
DALLAS 50 HALFTIME
Oct 21 9:15 PM
NEW ORLEANS 20
DALLAS 36 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 21 8:42 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 28
- Hornets C Spencer Hawes out for remainder of series vs Heat Apr 28