Nachbar helps Nets cruise past shorthanded CelticsOct 24, 2007 - 2:14 AM EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker) -- Bostjan Nachbar scored 15 points and Antoine Wright added 14 as the New Jersey Nets held off the undermanned Boston Celtics with a 82-71 victory in preseason action on Tuesday night.
Journeyman Mateen Cleaves netted 10 points for the Nets, who were able to cruise to victory with Celtics superstars Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce not dressing for the contest.
Boston rested the talented trio after suffering a 94-87 loss to the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden just one night earlier.
Nachbar was 3-of-8 from the field, including 1-of-2 from the arc, and nailed all eight of his free throws. Wright hit 6-of-8 shots, including both from the arc.
In a last-ditch attempt at making the the squad, Cleaves shot 4-of-6 from the field, including 2-of-3 on 3-pointers, to highlight a decisive 10-0 run with eight points. Rookie Sean Williams capped the spurt with two free throws to make it 82-68 with 22 seconds left.
The Nets sport their own star-studded trio with swingman Vince Carter, forward Richard Jefferson and point guard Jason Kidd.
Carter and Jefferson combined for 23 points on 7-of-19 shooting. Kidd is sitting out with a lower back injury.
Rookie Glen "Big Baby" Davis scored 21 points in 32 minutes for Boston.
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- Hawks, Celtics alone on playoff stage in close out game Apr 28
- Stevens: Celtics' Thomas on track to play Game 6 vs. Hawks Apr 27