Huge third quarter lifts Hawks over MagicOct 7, 2008 - 1:48 AM ORLANDO, Florida (Ticker) -- For one quarter, everything was falling for the Atlanta Hawks - even from 60 feet out.
The Hawks exploded for 45 points in the third quarter on Monday en route to a 118-101 victory over the Orlando Magic.
After falling behind by two at halftime, the Hawks caught fire after the break, hitting 17-of-24 from the field - including 4-of-5 from 3-point range. Acie Law capped the surge by launching a prayer from 60 feet out that dropped in at the buzzer, giving the Hawks a 13-point lead through three.
Law finished with 20 points on 8-of-11 shooting and dished out four assists, while Al Horford added 13, nine boards and four blocks as the Hawks opened up the preseason with an impressive offensive showing.
Horford got things going on Atlanta's first possession of the second half, driving to the hoop for a layup, drawing a foul and completing the three-point play to erase the two-point deficit. The second-year forward score seven points in the first three minutes of the quarter.
Mike Bibby, entering his first full season with Atlanta after being acquired from the Sacramento Kings last season, gave the Hawks the lead for good with a 3-pointer at the 8:11 mark.
The Magic tried to climb back into it in the fourth, cutting the deficit to 105-99 with 4 1/2 minutes remaining on Marcin Gortat's short jumper. But Law answered less than a minute later, burying another 3-pointer - this time from the comparatively modest distance of 26 feet out - to help seal the victory.
All-Star center and Olympic gold medalist Dwight Howard had an outstanding start to his preseason, collecting 17 points, five rebounds and eight blocks in just 26 minutes for Orlando.
ORLANDO 101 FINAL
Oct 6 9:27 PM
ORLANDO 81 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 6 9:00 PM
ORLANDO 51 HALFTIME
Oct 6 8:16 PM
ORLANDO 29 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 6 7:38 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8