McCants, Timberwolves rout BucksOct 7, 2008 - 4:10 AM By David Cotey PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer
MILWAUKEE (Ticker) -- The Minnesota Timberwolves took their first steps toward forgetting their dreadful 2007-08 campaign.
Rashad McCants scored 22 points and Al Jefferson had 18 and eight rebounds to lead the Timberwolves to a 117-79 preseason blowout over the Milwaukee Bucks at the Bradley Center on Monday.
The rebuilding Timberwolves finished 22-60 last season - including 7-34 on the road - after trading Kevin Garnett to the champion Boston Celtics in the offseason.
Minnesota rookie forward Kevin Love scored 16 points on 7-of-11 shooting with six rebounds in his NBA debut.
The 20-year-old first-round draft pick averaged 18.0 points and 13.5 rebounds in four summer league appearances after starring at UCLA, where he was named the Pac-10 Player of the Year as a freshman.
Charlie Villanueva scored 14 points while Ramon Sessions and Matt Freije scored 11 each to lead the Bucks, who went 26-56 a season ago.
Richard Jefferson, acquired in an offseason trade with the New Jersey Nets, scored four points in eight minutes in his Bucks debut before leaving with a strained left quadriceps in the first quarter.
Olympic gold medalist Michael Redd started for the Bucks and scored seven points in 19 minutes.
A pair of Bucks' starters - center Andrew Bogut (migraine) and newly acquired point guard Luke Ridnour (right knee tendinitis) - did not play.
MILWAUKEE 79 FINAL
Oct 6 10:30 PM
MILWAUKEE 55 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 6 10:02 PM
MILWAUKEE 37 HALFTIME
Oct 6 9:17 PM
MILWAUKEE 21 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 6 8:41 PM
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Bucks say IRS, FBI investigating email scam targeting team May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Zach LaVine wins NBA Cares Community Assist award for April May 9
- Thibodeau's role w/Wolves: 'It's about alignment, not power' Apr 26
- Blazers' McCollum wins NBA's Most Improved Player Apr 22
- Minnesota Timberwolves hire Tom Thibodeau as coach and president, Scott Layden as GM Apr 20