Torrid start helps Magic ruin debut for Brown with BobcatsOct 9, 2008 - 2:15 AM ORLANDO, Florida (Ticker) -- Larry Brown's first season as coach of the Charlotte Bobcats got off to a dismal start.
Dwight Howard had 20 points and eight rebounds as the Orlando Magic used a torrid first-quarter run to topple the Bobcats, 118-80, in preseason action on Wednesday.
Brown signed on to be the leader of the Bobcats in April, taking on his ninth job in his 25th year in coaching. This is the 67-year-old Hall of Famer's first coaching job since a messy exit from the New York Knicks in 2006. Brown replaced Sam Vincent, who was fired after going 32-50 in his one season.
Brown, who was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002, is one of five NBA coaches with at least 1,000 victories.
It didn't take long for an anemic defense to doom the Bobcats in this one. J.J. Redick made a free throw which was awarded for an illegal defense technical foul to ignite a 22-0 run to end the first, helping the Magic to a 40-9 lead after the opening 12 minutes.
Rashard Lewis scored 17 points, Redick added 12 and Mickael Pietrus netted 13 for the Magic, who finished first in the Southeast Division with a 52-30 record last season.
Gerald Wallace paced Charlotte with 18 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks. Point guard D.J. Augustin, the ninth overall pick in June's draft out of Texas, collected two points and three assists in 21 minutes.
ORLANDO 118 FINAL
Oct 8 9:46 PM
ORLANDO 94 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 8 9:14 PM
ORLANDO 65 HALFTIME
Oct 8 8:24 PM
ORLANDO 40 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 8 7:44 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30