Williams, Hawks down Suns in first game for PorterOct 9, 2008 - 4:58 AM PHOENIX (Ticker) -- Marvin Williams scored 19 points as the Atlanta Hawks spoiled the coaching debut of Terry Porter with a 100-96 preseason victory over the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday night.
Josh Smith scored 18 points and Joe Johnson added 14 for the Hawks, who have won their first two exhibition contests after making the playoffs for the first time since 1999 last season. Atlanta lost to the eventual champion Boston Celtics in seven games in the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.
It was the first game for the Suns' Porter, who took over for the successful Mike D'Antoni. Phoenix, which had implemented D'Antoni's up-tempo offense, had become one of the league's most prolific offensive team under the previous regime.
A 17-year veteran as a player, Porter coached the Milwaukee Bucks from 2003-05 and, after a year away from the game, was an assistant with the Detroit Pistons for two seasons.
The Suns, however, added massive center Shaquille O'Neal midway through last season and now most likely will focus the offense around him in Porter's system. O'Neal collected 21 points and 10 rebounds in 23 minutes on Wednesday.
The catalyst in D'Antoni's offense, two-time MVP Steve Nash did not fare well in this one, collecting just three points and nine assists in 25 minutes for the Suns, who shot just 3-of-10 from the arc.
Second-year point guard Acie Law scored 10 points for Atlanta, which outrebounded Phoenix, 43-37.
PHOENIX 96 FINAL
Oct 9 12:34 AM
PHOENIX 70 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 8 11:55 PM
PHOENIX 44 HALFTIME
Oct 8 11:06 PM
PHOENIX 21 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 8 10:36 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 7