Nowitzki leads Mavericks over BullsOct 10, 2008 - 3:25 AM CHICAGO (Ticker) -- Dirk Nowitzki and company made sure the Vinny Del Negro-Derrick Rose Era got off to a losing start.
Nowitzki scored 15 points as the Dallas Mavericks took advantage of 24 turnovers to upend the Chicago Bulls, 110-102, in preseason action Thursday.
With their new coach and No. 1 overall pick, the Bulls are hoping to bounce back from a 2007-08 campaign that saw them post a 33-49 record and miss the playoffs after three consecutive postseason berths.
Rose, who led Memphis to the national championship game before an overtime loss to Kansas, collected 10 points and five assists in nearly 27 minutes but had six turnovers in his debut.
Del Negro will patrol the sidelines in Chicago after a tumultuous season that saw the dismissal of Scott Skiles just 25 games into his fifth season at the helm.
Aaron Gray collected 14 points and nine rebounds, while Drew Gooden added 11 and seven.
Josh Howard had 10 points and four steals for the Mavericks, who used a 36-point first quarter to build a 62-44 halftime lead.
CHICAGO 102 FINAL
Oct 9 11:08 PM
CHICAGO 70 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 9 10:25 PM
CHICAGO 44 HALFTIME
Oct 9 9:39 PM
CHICAGO 22 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 9 9:07 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Westbrook leads Thunder past Mavericks; OKC wins series 4-1 Apr 26
- Thunder use balance to advance past Mavericks Apr 26
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 26
- Mejri, Lee out for Dallas against Oklahoma City playoff game Apr 25
- Face of fracas? Durant says testy playoffs just part of game Apr 25
- Thunder look to advance; Hornets, Blazers try to even series Apr 25
- NBA fines Westbrook, Durant for Game 4 violations Apr 24