Hill hits game-winner as Suns top HawksOct 16, 2008 - 2:15 AM By Phil Foley PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer
ATLANTA (Ticker) -- Grant Hill and the Phoenix Suns were glad to get in from the cold.
Hill scored 13 points, including the game-winning jumper with five seconds left, to lead the Suns to a 102-100 win over the Atlanta Hawks in a preseason game at Philips Arena on Wednesday.
Raja Bell tallied 18 points and Boris Diaw and Sean Singletary chipped in 15 each for Phoenix (2-2), which rebounded from a poor shooting night in an outdoor game in Indian Wells, California on Saturday.
Phoenix did not score in the game's final two minutes as Atlanta erased a three-point deficit to tie the game at 100-100 before Hill worked his magic.
The veteran forward backed down the lane on Phoenix's final possession before lofting a jumper from the top of the key for the final margin of victory.
Acie Law IV, who tallied the game winner in Atlanta's 88-87 win over the Charlotte Bobcats on Monday, slashed down the key for the tying layup in this one. But his offering was blocked by Louis Amundson, preserving the Phoenix win.
Ronald Murray tallied 23 points and Al Horford added 15 for Atlanta, which fell to 3-2 in exhibition play.
The game was without much star power as Phoenix rested center Shaquille O'Neal. Amare Stoudemire also missed the game with a right eye injury and Steve Nash left the game with 2:14 remaining in the second quarter after spraining his right ankle.
Atlanta played without starters Marvin Williams (sprained left thumb) and Mike Bibby (right oblique strain). Oft-injured Speedy Claxton was also sidelined with a pulled hamstring.
ATLANTA 100 FINAL
Oct 15 9:36 PM
ATLANTA 77 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 15 9:00 PM
ATLANTA 58 HALFTIME
Oct 15 8:13 PM
ATLANTA 27 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 15 7:40 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 7