Celtics rally past Nets without three starsOct 17, 2008 - 2:39 AM EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker) -- The Boston Celtics were lost early without the "Big Three," but Tony Allen did more than pick up the slack.
Allen scored 32 points to help the Celtics overcome an early 14-point deficit en route to a 111-108 victory over the New Jersey Nets in preseason action Thursday.
The Celtics were without Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, all of whom participated in pregame warm-ups but were rested by coach Doc Rivers.
Tony Allen made 11-of-18 from the field and 10-of-12 at the free-throw line to pace Boston, which was held without a field goal over the first five minutes of the opening quarter and fell behind, 17-3.
Eddie House knocked down five 3-pointers in nearly 25 minutes, scoring 21 points on 8-of-13 from the field for Boston. Second-year guard Gabe Pruitt also added 14 points and seven assists for the Celtics.
Vince Carter scored 19 points for the Nets, who also got 15 points Yi Jianlian. A 6-11 forward who was acquired from Milwaukee in the offseason, Yi did not register a rebound in over 20 minutes before fouling out.
Rookie Brook Lopez added eight points and nine rebounds for New Jersey, which owned a 45-30 advantage on the boards but turned the ball over 25 times.
NEW JERSEY 108 FINAL
Oct 16 10:17 PM
NEW JERSEY 81 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 16 9:33 PM
NEW JERSEY 56 HALFTIME
Oct 16 8:52 PM
NEW JERSEY 33 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 16 8:15 PM
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- Hawks, Celtics alone on playoff stage in close out game Apr 28
- Stevens: Celtics' Thomas on track to play Game 6 vs. Hawks Apr 27