Carmelo victorious in return to Carrier DomeOct 18, 2008 - 2:42 AM SYRACUSE, New York (Ticker) -- Carmelo Anthony scored 14 points in his second game back at the Carrier Dome since turning pro as the Denver Nuggets captured a 94-91 exhibition victory over the Phoenix Suns on Friday.
The Most Outstanding Player during Syracuse's only national championship season in 2003, Anthony received a very warm welcome from the 22,115 in attendance, even chanting his nickname of "Melo."
Playing mainly in the first half, Anthony finished 6-of-14 from the field with nine rebounds and five assists.
Denver remained unbeaten in the preseason at 4-0 thanks in part to the late play of Linas Kleiza and Dahntay Jones, who combined for 14 of the team's final 16 points.
After Phoenix took an 82-78 lead on a 3-pointer by Robert Hite with 4:43 remaining, Kleiza responded with a basket from the arc. Jones later scored five straight points, including a three-point play, en route to a 86-82 advantage with 3:41 left.
Matt Barnes came back with a jumper for the Suns, but Kleiza had a driving layup and he and Jones both made a pair of free throws inside the final 1:23 to seal the win.
Kleiza ended up with 11 points and Jones had nine for the Nuggets, who got only four points in 27 minutes from Allen Iverson.
Raja Bell scored 15 points and Hite collected all 12 of his in the fourth for the Suns, who dropped to 2-3 in the preseason.
DENVER 94 FINAL
Oct 17 10:09 PM
DENVER 67 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 17 9:24 PM
DENVER 41 HALFTIME
Oct 17 8:39 PM
DENVER 16 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 17 8:07 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Suns remove 'interim' tag, retain Earl Watson as coach Apr 19
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14
- Teletovic's 22 leads Suns past Clippers reserves, 114-105 Apr 14
- Clippers-Suns Preview Apr 13
- Nuggets-Trail Blazers Preview Apr 13
- Suns shift D-League team to Prescott Valley, Arizona Apr 12