Perkins leads Celtics over Nets in preseasonOct 19, 2008 - 10:09 PM By Brian Devine PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer
BOSTON (Ticker) -- Kendrick Perkins had 18 points and nine rebounds to help the Boston Celtics defeat the New Jersey Nets, 83-66, in a preseason game Sunday.
Perkins scored eight of his points in the third quarter when the Celtics were able to mount a 20-point lead. He shot 5-of-7 from the floor and made 8-of-10 free throws.
Gabe Pruitt, who started in place of Rajon Rondo because a sprained ankle, had a solid game with 11 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists.
A big difference in the contest was the battle of the boards. The Celtics outrebounded Nets, 56-29, including 17 offensive rebounds that led to 26 second-chance points.
In the final minute of the second period, New Jersey was able to reduce its deficit to eight thanks to Yi Jianlian's jumper followed by Brook Lopez's dunk with just two-tenths of a second remaining.
The Celtics, who improved to 6-2 in the preseason, got out to an early lead and finished the opening quarter with a 12-point advantage behind eight points and five rebounds from Kevin Garnett.
Boston will have its final exhibition game Tuesday against the New York Knicks before raising its 17th championship banner on Opening Night against the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Rookie Ryan Anderson netted 20 points and Jianlian chipped in with 10 for New Jersey, which now is 2-2 in the preseason.
NEW JERSEY 66
BOSTON 83 FINAL
Oct 19 5:55 PM
NEW JERSEY 51
BOSTON 65 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 19 5:25 PM
NEW JERSEY 40
BOSTON 48 HALFTIME
Oct 19 4:41 PM
NEW JERSEY 18
BOSTON 30 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 19 4:08 PM
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- Hawks, Celtics alone on playoff stage in close out game Apr 28
- Stevens: Celtics' Thomas on track to play Game 6 vs. Hawks Apr 27