Hawks end preseason with win over PistonsOct 24, 2008 - 2:36 AM By Chuck Klonke PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer
AUBURN HILLS, Michigan (Ticker) -- Atlanta Hawks guard Flip Murray helped make the preseason finale for his former team a disappointing one.
Murray scored 19 points, including seven in the fourth quarter, to lead the Hawks to an 88-87 victory over the Detroit Pistons on Thursday.
Zaza Pachulia added 18 points, including the winning basket on a layup with 54 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Detroit's Rodney Stuckey had a chance to win the game at the buzzer, but his running 3-pointer was off the mark.
Detroit wrapped up the preseason with a 6-2 record, while Atlanta finished at 5-3.
It was a game of spurts as both teams rested several of their starters. Richard Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace sat out for the Pistons, while Joe Johnson, who has a right groin strain, did not make the trip for the Hawks.
Atlanta had a 17-0 spurt early in the second quarter to go ahead 32-26 en route to a three-point lead at halftime. Detroit had its biggest lead of the game, 63-49, after a 3-pointer by Arron Afflalo to cap a 14-0 run with 4:46 left in the third quarter.
Afflalo scored 15 points and Jason Maxiell added 13 for Detroit, which saw its lead cut to three, when Atlanta went on a 17-4 run to close the third quarter.
Hawks forward Josh Smith left the game with a sprained ankle in the second quarter and did not return.
DETROIT 87 FINAL
Oct 23 9:55 PM
DETROIT 71 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 23 9:25 PM
DETROIT 39 HALFTIME
Oct 23 8:37 PM
DETROIT 24 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 23 8:06 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7
- Frye leads another 3-point barrage, Cavs beat Hawks 121-108 May 7
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 7
- Hawks lineup change: Sefolosha for Korver in Game 3 vs Cavs May 6