Fourth-quarter burst pushes Rockets past KingsOct 24, 2008 - 4:44 AM By Tom Galland PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer
SACRAMENTO, California (Ticker) -- In the final preseason tune-up for both teams, the Houston Rockets pulled away from the Sacramento Kings in the fourth quarter, cruising to a 110-97 victory at Arco Arena on Thursday.
The Rockets broke an 80-80 tie with an 8-0 burst to open the final period. Carl Landry's three-point play with 8:30 remaining pushed Houston's lead to 91-82 and the Kings failed to get any closer than four the rest of the way.
Landry, a powerful 6-9 forward in his second campaign out of Purdue, scored 16 points in 20 minutes, including the final nine of the contest.
Second-year center Spencer Hawes delivered his best performance of the preseason with 25 points and 16 rebounds for the Kings, who won once in eight games. Hawes will be the team's starting center during the first five games of the campaign as Brad Miller sits out a league-imposed suspension.
Ron Artest led the Rockets with 19 points and was greeted warmly by a sparse crowd in his return to Sacramento after being traded in the offseason.
Aaron Brooks, in his second year out of Oregon, started at point guard for Houston and delivered 15 points and four assists as Rafer Alston was given the night off.
Tracy McGrady played in just his second game of the preseason for the Rockets, finishing with 14 points in 33 minutes.
SACRAMENTO 97 FINAL
Oct 24 12:21 AM
SACRAMENTO 80 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 23 11:49 PM
SACRAMENTO 60 HALFTIME
Oct 23 11:09 PM
SACRAMENTO 25 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 23 10:40 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27
- Rockets-Warriors Preview Apr 26
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 26