Kurz wins it at buzzer as Warriors top Bucks in BeijingOct 18, 2008 - 6:31 AM BEIJING (Ticker) -- The last time NBA players were on the floor at The Wukesong Arena the stakes were a bit higher. Rob Kurz, however, played like a gold medal was on the line Saturday.
Kurz hit two 3-pointers in the final 24 seconds, including the game-winning shot from the arc at the buzzer as the Golden State Warriors posted a 109-108 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks in the a preseason contest, which was played at the site of the 2008 Olympic basketball tournament.
Stephen Jackson scored 24 points and Kurz added 11 for the Warriors, who will start the season without star guard Monta Ellis (ankle).
An undrafted rookie from Notre Dame, Kurz drilled a 3-pointer from the left wing to tie the game at 106-106 with 24 seconds left.
After Matt Freije's jumper gave the Bucks a two-point lead with 1.4 ticks left, Kurz drained another shot from beyond the arc at the top of the key as the buzzer sounded, inciting a raucous celebration. Television replays showed that the shot may have come after the horn, but the arena did not have review capabilities.
While the game was a preseason contest, Beijing had hosted one of the most-anticipated international basketball competitions in years here this summer, when the United States punctuated a dominant Olympiad with a triumph in the gold-medal game over Spain.
The Olympics were a chance for NBA stars to further their reputation overseas, a goal that Commissioner David Stern has made a further commitment to by bringing exhibition action to China in an attempt to solidify his league's global appeal.
Charlie Villanueva scored 26 points and Olympic gold medalist Michael Redd added 23 for the Bucks.
The eighth overall pick in June's draft by Milwaukee, Joe Alexander scored 14 points and was a hit with local fans. The athletic forward was born in Taiwan and speaks fluent Mandarin.
GOLDEN STATE 109 FINAL
Oct 18 2:00 AM
GOLDEN STATE 83 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 18 1:22 AM
GOLDEN STATE 56 HALFTIME
Oct 18 12:36 AM
GOLDEN STATE 30 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 18 12:03 AM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Gary Payton unimpressed by Stephen Curry's unanimous MVP May 20
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19