90 - 86 Final
  for this game

Miller, Sixers stun Pistons in Game One

Apr 21, 2008 - 2:47 AM AUBURN HILLS, Michigan (Ticker) -- "Mr. Big Shot" did not come up big this time, and neither did Rasheed Wallace.

Andre Miller scored 20 points as Philadelphia 76ers pulled off a huge upset of the Detroit Pistons, 90-86, on Sunday in Game One of their Eastern Conference first-round series.

Willie Green scored 17 points and Andre Iguodala had 16 points, nine rebounds and eight assists for the seventh-seeded Sixers, who rallied from a 15-point deficit to down the second-seeded Pistons.

Known as "Mr. Big Shot," for his clutch shooting late in games, Chauncey Billups scored 13 points but was less than stellar down the stretch.

A 96 percent free-throw shooter in the final three minutes of the game this season, Billups missed four free throws and a wide-open layup as the Pistons were outscored, 27-16, in the final period.

Wallace had 24 points, nine rebounds and a playoff franchise-record seven blocks but missed a potential game-tying layup in the final seconds.

"I think what happens is we had a horrible start to the third quarter, and it throws us out of rhythm," Billups said. "My missed free throws were big and the missed layup was big. At the end, 'Sheed had a layup - the shot we wanted - and he missed it. What can you do?"

"I think for the most part, especially that last bunny that I missed, that was a (darn) sure bucket I should have made," Wallace said. "I'm going to take this one on the chin. I'm going to put this one on me."

Philadelphia, which earned the seventh seed by closing the regular season with a 22-12 mark, was not intimidated by playoff-tested Detroit and pulled off the shocking upset.

"It was a great game by us and it was a great victory by us," Green said. "Guys went out there and played hard against a really good Detroit Pistons team, and we will take it, we will take the win."

Louis Williams hit a huge jumper from the right baseline to give the Sixers a 84-80 lead with 3:28 left, and from then on they held off the Pistons.

A tip-in by Reggie Evans made it 86-82, and the teams then traded free throws. Wallace hit a pair to make it 86-84, Iguodala made 1-of-2 from the line for a three-point edge, and Billups then sliced the lead to 87-86 with 45 seconds left.

Tayshaun Prince front-rimmed a potential go-ahead jumper with 14 seconds left, and Iguodala hit 1-of-2 free throws for a 88-86 lead. Wallace tried to answer, but his eight-footer banked off the backboard and landed in the arms of Iguodala.

The swingman, who shot just 4-of-15 from the floor, hit a pair of free throws with seven seconds left to seal the win.

"Coach Cheeks just kept telling me to keep attacking no matter what," Iguodala said. "He kept coming up with plays for me down the stretch and kept putting the ball in my hands and told me to make something happen."

Detroit led, 62-47, with 6:05 left in the third. However, Green hit a layup that sparked a 10-0 run, and the Sixers trailed 70-63 entering the final period.

Miller's putback with 6:05 remaining gave the Sixers a 78-77 lead - their first since the opening quarter.

Philadelphia will look to carry the momentum into Game Two here Wednesday.

"We had a lot of opportunities, and we missed a lot of easy shots and a lot of free throws," Detroit coach Flip Saunders said. "We didn't come up with the plays we needed. We've got to fire back on Wednesday. It's a must-win game now."