East Carolina beats Virginia-Wise 77-60Nov 14, 2009 - 1:27 AM GREENVILLE, N.C.(AP) -- Chad Winn had a double-double to lead East Carolina to a 77-60 win over Virginia-Wise on Friday night.
The Pirates took control of their season opener thanks to a 16-4 run to claim a 68-55 lead on a layup by DaQuan Joyner with 4:10 left to play.
Winn scored 12 of his 16 points in the first half as East Carolina led 31-25 at the break. Winn and Chris Turner each finished with 10 rebounds for the Pirates, who finished with a game-high 46 rebounds.
Darrius Marrow added 14 points, and Brock Young and DaQuan Joyner chipped in 12 each for East Carolina.
The Highland Cavaliers (2-1) tied the game at 43-43 on a Travis Berry free throw with 12:07 left to play. Berry, who led Virginia-Wise with 16 points, made just two more free throws the rest of the way.
Pance Kecev added 15 points for the Highland Cavaliers.
- NCAA BB
EAST CAROLINA 77 FINAL
Nov 13 7:44 PM
- NCAA BB
EAST CAROLINA 31 HALFTIME
Nov 13 6:41 PM
- No. 20 SMU beats ECU in American QFs Mar 13
- Pirates seek upset of Mustangs in AAC Tournament action Mar 13
- No. 12 UNC routs East Carolina Dec 7
- 12th-ranked Tar Heels set sights on Pirates Dec 7
- Hood leads No. 6 Duke over East Carolina Nov 19
- Pirates put perfect mark on line versus sixth-ranked Blue Devils Nov 19
- Wildcats, Pirates play for CIT crown Apr 2
- North Carolina slips past East Carolina Dec 15
- Instate foes collide as Tar Heels take on Pirates Dec 15
- No. 21 Memphis edges East Carolina Jan 8
- Former Tar Heel Lebo takes reins at East Carolina Mar 24
- East Carolina hires Lebo to coach basketball team Mar 22