Stetson holds off Averett, 70-65Nov 14, 2009 - 2:58 AM DELAND, Fla.(AP) -- Redshirt freshman Ridge Graham scored 14 points and had 10 rebounds to lead Stetson to a 70-65 win over Averett at the Edmunds Center on Friday night.
Graham, a forward, came off the bench to spark the Hatters in his collegiate debut. True freshman Tyshawn Patterson added 13 points, also in a reserve role. Seniors Sheldon Oliver and A.J. Smith each chipped in 10 points for Stetson.
It was Stetson's season opener, but because NCAA Division III teams can't begin the regular season until Sunday, the game does not count on Averett's record.
Averett sophomore guard Ruben Pierce led all scorers with 19 points. Sophomore forward Kenny Hart added 12 points.
Stetson made only 23 of 41 free-throw attempts, but converted six of eight tries in the final 32 seconds to hold on for the win.
- Stetson makes intriguing run to A-Sun final against FGCU Mar 5
- Stetson routs Albany State (Ga) 95-69 Dec 16
- Irish beat up Stetson Nov 10
- No. 21 Notre Dame plays host to Stetson Nov 10
- Alexander leaves Stetson to take Lipscomb job May 18
- Donovan gets 400th career win as Florida routs Stetson Nov 28
- Donovan eyes milestone, as Gators battle Hatters Nov 28
- FSU shoots down Hatters Nov 16
- No.25 Seminoles host Hatters in Tallahassee Nov 16
- Smith's 19 leads Stetson past SC-Upstate 65-60 Feb 27
- Lipscomb defeats Stetson 85-71 Feb 20
- Belmont knocks off Stetson 79-70 Feb 18