Battle, Penn St. beat Penn 70-55 to open seasonNov 14, 2009 - 2:45 AM By GENARO C. ARMAS AP Sports Writer
STATE COLLEGE, Pa.(AP) -- Talor Battle had 27 points and 10 rebounds as Penn State debuted its 2009 NIT championship banner with a 70-55 win over Penn on Friday night.
Jeff Brooks added 10 points for the Nittany Lions (1-0), who won their sixth straight dating back to last spring's run to take the postseason NIT title.
Jack Eggleston scored 13 points, while Tyler Bernardini added 12 for the Quakers (0-1), who committed 23 fouls in a tightly called contest.
Battle picked up where he left off last season, igniting the offense and hitting tough shots in opening the game shooting 7 of 8 from the field. He connected on 11 of 20 for the game.
Penn narrowed a 10-point deficit to 54-48 with 7:01 left on a lay-up by Eggleston.
But the Nittany Lions got a putback from Andrew Ott and two buckets from Battle during a 7-1 run to take control.
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23
- Penn holds on to beat Robert Morris 76-75 Nov 13
- Donahue tries to revitalize career, sagging program at Penn Nov 12
- Penn State at a Glance Oct 27
- Penn State's Chambers hopes momentum translates to wins Oct 27
- Freshmen expected to contribute heavily for Penn State Oct 7
- Chambers signs extension with Penn State Mar 20
- Penn names Steve Donahue men's hoops coach Mar 16
- Penn coach Allen resigns Mar 9
- Russell rallies Ohio State past Penn State Mar 4
- Buckeyes hit road to tangle with Nittany Lions Mar 4
- No. 5 Wisconsin hangs on to beat Penn State Feb 18