Iona beats Boston University 82-73Nov 14, 2009 - 4:59 AM NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y.(AP) -- Scott Machado scored 16 points and four other Iona players scored in double figures to beat Boston University 82-73 in the season opener for both teams on Friday night.
Jermel Jenkins scored 14 points for the Gaels. Milan Prodanovic and Alejo Rodriguez each had 12 points, while Kyle Smyth added 11. Rodriguez finished with 10 rebounds - five offensive.
Boston's Tyler Morris hit a 3-pointer to tie the game at 48-48 with 18:26 left to play. But the Terriers never took the lead, as Iona answered with four straight points and later increased its lead to 70-60 with 8:11 left on Prodanovic's free throw.
Jake O'Brien's jumper cut Iona's lead to 76-72 with 3:42 left, but Boston pulled no closer.
Tyler Morris led Boston with 21 points. John Holland had 17 points, Corey Lowe had 16, and Carlos Strong finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds.
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- No. 1 Kentucky pulls away in 2nd half against BU Nov 21
- Terriers face tall task in clash with top-ranked Wildcats Nov 21
- American takes down BU to win Patriot League crown Mar 12