Winthrop edges Limestone 57-55Nov 15, 2009 - 1:18 AM ROCK HILL, S.C.(AP) -- Mantoris Robinson's layup at the buzzer gave Winthrop a 57-55 win over Limestone on Saturday.
Robinson's fast-break basket capped an 11-2 Eagles' run in the game's final two minutes.
Down 53-46 with 2:34 to play, Winthrop caused three turnovers and Limestone missed two baskets in the Eagles' season-opener.
Robinson finished with 11 points and 10 rebounds and Andre Jones scored 15 points, including going 9-of-10 from the free-throw line.
Winthrop, which led 23-21 at halftime, built its lead to 37-30 on a jump hook by Andy Buechert with 12:31 to play.
The Saints then outscored the Eagles 8-3 to take a 50-42 lead with 5:27 left in the game.
Michael Barrett, who scored 20 points, put Limestone ahead 53-36 with 2:34 remaining.
The Saints shot just 29.2 percent in the first half (7 of 24), including going 0-for-4 behind the 3-point arc.
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16
- Winthrop hits road to challenge No. 14 VCU Nov 16
- No. 7 Ohio State overcomes slow start to down Winthrop Dec 18
- Seventh-ranked Buckeyes seek to ground Eagles Dec 18
- Winthrop tabs Kelsey as next men's basketball coach Mar 29