Gardner-Webb breezes past Covenant 89-48 in openerNov 15, 2009 - 3:16 AM BOILING SPRINGS, N.C.(AP) -- Auryn MacMillan had 17 points, 11 rebounds and six blocked shots as Gardner-Webb opened its season Saturday with an 89-48 rout of Covenant College.
MacMillan, a senior from Melbourne, Australia, made 8 of 10 shots while playing just 20 minutes. Senior Grayson Flittner, playing point guard for the Bulldogs for the first time, scored 8 points, had 6 assists and 2 steals in 20 minutes.
Gardner-Webb used a 30-2 run to take a 39-12 lead over the Division III Scots with just more than four minutes before intermission. The Bulldogs led by as much as 44 points in the second half.
Gardner-Webb ran the floor well, outscoring Covenant 25-2 on the fast break and turning 28 Scots turnovers into 30 points.
Covenant, which had a 2-29 record last season, shot just 27.1 percent for the game (16 of 59), with forward Sam Bowman leading the scoring with 10 points.
- Arizona runs away from Gardner-Webb in second half Dec 2
- Bulldogs hit road seeking upset of third-ranked Wildcats Dec 2
- Duke takes care of Gardner-Webb Dec 16
- Runnin' Bulldogs seek upset of mighty Blue Devils Dec 16
- Gardner-Webb moves on with rout of Campbell Mar 7
- No. 11 North Carolina handles Gardner-Webb Nov 9
- New-look Tar Heels tip off season against Runnin' Bulldogs Nov 9
- Louisville rebounds with convincing win over Gardner-Webb Dec 18
- Gardner-Webb hires Holtmann to be basketball coach Apr 22
- Scruggs fired by Gardner-Webb Mar 5
- Gardner-Webb 86, N.C.-Asheville 89 Feb 27
- UNC-Asheville tops Gardner-Webb 89-86 Feb 27