Hansbrough leads ND to 86-65 win over N. FloridaNov 14, 2009 - 9:20 PM By TOM COYNE AP Sports Writer
SOUTH BEND, Ind.(AP) -- Ben Hansbrough scored 19 points in his Notre Dame debut and Luke Harangody added 19 points and seven assists, leading the Fighting Irish to an 86-65 win over North Florida on Saturday.
Hansbrough, a transfer Mississippi State, was 5 of 5 from 3-point range. He is the younger brother of Tyler, the 2007-08 national player of the year at North Carolina who is in his rookie season with the Indiana Pacers.
Tim Abromaitis had 13 points for the Irish (1-0). Jonathan Peoples added 11 and Tory Jackson added nine points and seven assists.
Stan Januska had 14 points for North Florida (0-1), an Atlantic Sun member that finished 8-22 last season and is beginning its first year as a full-fledged Division I team. Jerron Granberry added 11 points and Andy Diaz 10 for the Ospreys.
Hansbrough hit back-to-back 3-pointers seven minutes into the game to give the Irish a 21-5 lead. The Irish led 35-10 after Harangody, the Big East leader in scoring and rebounding the past two seasons, made his first shot from the field with 5:25 left in the first half. They made it 40-10 when Harangody converted on a 3-point play.
Harangody shot 5 of 13 from the floor, but was 9 of 9 from the free-throw line.
North Florida opened the second half by hitting 5 of 6 shots, but only narrowed Notre Dame's lead by a point.
It was a disappointing start for the Ospreys in their first game under new coach Matthew Driscoll.
The victory marked the 11th straight season the Irish opened at home.
Notre Dame's refurbished arena, now called the Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center, was about two-thirds full. A week ago, the start time was switched from the evening to afternoon to avoid conflicting with the Irish football game at Pittsburgh on Saturday night.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTH FLORIDA 16 49 65
NOTRE DAME 47 39 86 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: NORTH FLORIDA - STAN JANUSKA 14, JERRON GRANBERRY 13,
ANDY DIAZ 10
NOTRE DAME - BEN HANSBROUGH 19, LUKE HARANGODY 19,
TIM ABROMAITIS 13
Nov 14 3:43 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTH FLORIDA 16
NOTRE DAME 47 HALFTIME
Nov 14 2:48 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17