St. Catharine 41, W. Carolina 65Nov 15, 2009 - 2:50 AM CULLOWHEE, N.C. (AP) -- Brandon Giles and Kendall Russell scored 12 points each to lead Western Carolina to a 65-41 win over St. Catharine College on Saturday night.
Harouna Mutombo added eight points and seven rebounds for the Catamounts in their season opener. Blake Gallagher also had seven rebounds for Western Carolina.
The Catamounts used a 13-0 run in the second half to take a 42-23 lead following a 3-pointer by Giles with 13:56 remaining in the game. The Catamounts led by as many as 24 points, which was their final margin of victory.
Ervin Williams paced the Patriots with 17 points and nine rebounds, while Brandon Johnson added seven points and seven rebounds.
The Catamounts shot 41.8 percent from the field in the game (28-for-67), while St. Catharine shot just 25 percent (11-for-44).
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Young leads Oregon past Western Carolina Nov 14
- Whittington, Georgetown down Western Carolina Dec 15
- Catamounts seek upset of 15th-ranked Hoyas Dec 15
- Richardson leads No. 13 Illinois past Western Carolina Dec 5
- No. 13 Illinois plays host to Western Carolina Dec 4
- Davidson takes home Southern Conference title Mar 6
- SoCon title tilt pits Catamounts against Wildcats Mar 5
- Sullinger, No. 2 Ohio State beat Catamounts Dec 12
- Wofford defeats Western Carolina 77-58 Mar 7