Eastern Kentucky defeats W.Va. Wesleyan 102-71Nov 15, 2009 - 3:50 AM RICHMOND, Ky.(AP) -- Justin Stommes scored 28 points to lead five Eastern Kentucky players in double figures as the Colonels rolled to a season-opening 102-71 victory over West Virginia Wesleyan on Saturday night.
The Colonels shot 63.3 percent from the field (38-for-60) behind Stommes, who was 10-for-14 from the field in 29 minutes. Josh Taylor, Eastern Kentucky's leading returning starter from last year, went 7-for-11 from field to score 19 points.
Stommes and Taylor were a combined 8-for-13 from the 3-point line as the Colonels made 17 of their 26 attempts (65.4 percent) from 3-point range.
Josh Daniel scored 14 points, Papa Oppong added 13 and Joshua Jones finished with 10 points for Eastern Kentucky, which has won 12 consecutive home openers, dating to 1997-98.
Bryce Barnes hit five 3-pointers on his way to scoring a team-high 21 points for West Virginia Wesleyan.
- No. 18 Miami falls at home to Eastern Kentucky Dec 19
- Colonels seek upset of 18th-ranked Hurricanes Dec 19
- Towns, Kentucky rout EKU Dec 8
- Top-ranked Wildcats play host to Colonels Dec 7
- Eastern Kentucky extends Neubauer's contract May 5
- Kansas advances with win over EKU Mar 21
- Colonels face tall task in showdown with Jayhawks Mar 21
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Wisconsin (12-0) off to best start in school history Dec 14
- Colonels hope to lick fourth-ranked Badgers Dec 14
- No. 10 Illinois tops Eastern Kentucky Dec 16