Indiana overcomes sluggish start for 69-61 winNov 17, 2009 - 4:01 AM By MICHAEL MAROT AP Sports Writer
BLOOMINGTON, Ind.(AP) -- Christian Watford finished with 17 points and 10 rebounds, Maurice Creek added 14 points and Verdell Jones scored 13 to lead Indiana past South Carolina-Upstate 69-61 on Monday night.
The Hoosiers are 2-0 for the third straight season, and it is the first time they've won back-to-back since late November last year.
The Spartans (0-2) were led by Mezie Uzochukwu with 14 points.
Indiana overcame a sluggish start with a 10-0 run midway through the first half to take a 16-9 lead. It closed the half on an 8-2 run to make it 32-25, then scored eight of the first 10 points in the second half to take a 40-27 lead.
Upstate never got closer than eight the rest of the way.
- NCAA BB
USC UPSTATE 61
INDIANA 69 FINAL
Nov 16 10:43 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SOUTH CAROLINA UPSTA 25 25
INDIANA 32 32 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
SOUTH CAROLINA UPSTATE - JOSH CHAVIS 6, NICK SCHNEIDERS 6,
DE'MARION GORDON 5
INDIANA - MAURICE CREEK 6, VERDELL JONES III 6,
CHRISTIAN WATFORD 6
Nov 16 9:29 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Indiana prepares for Chattanooga, No. 12 seed pressure Mar 16
- Ferrell says Indiana legacy incomplete without deep NCAA run Mar 14