Army beats Long Island 63-56Nov 18, 2009 - 3:29 AM WEST POINT, N.Y.(AP) -- Julian Simmons scored 15 points and Jeremy Hence scored four of his eight points in the final 34 seconds, helping Army seal its 63-56 win over Long Island University on Tuesday night.
Josh Miller added 12 points and Tyrell Thompson had 10 for Army, which won its first game under new coach Zach Spiker.
The Black Knights (1-1) trailed 23-21 at the half, but outscored the Blackbirds 42-33 in the second half to seal the win.
Jamal Olasewere's layup with 37 seconds left pulled Long Island within 59-53, but Hence's layup 4 seconds later and a pair of free throws increased the advantage to 63-53 with 23 seconds to play.
Jaytornah Wisseh hit a 3-pointer on Long Island's next possession, but it wasn't enough.
Long Island (0-2) got the majority of its offense from Wisseh, who had 24 points and went 3-for-5 from beyond the arc. He also had four assists.
- Okafor, No. 4 Duke beat Army Nov 30
- No. 4 Duke plays host to Army Nov 30
- Army extends contracts of Spiker, Magarity Aug 20
- James Madison advances in win over Long Island Mar 21
- Blackbirds, Dukes clash in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 20
- LIU Brooklyn downs Mount St. Mary's, wins NEC title Mar 12
- NEC crown up for grabs as Blackbirds take on Mountaineers Mar 12
- Kentucky shoots the lights out against Long Island Nov 24
- LIU promotes Perri to head coach Apr 11
- Green's triple-double leads MSU past Long Island Mar 17
- Spartans hope to avoid upset in NCAA Tourney clash with Blackbirds Mar 16
- Long Island handles Robert Morris for NEC title Mar 7