Scott leads Virginia past surprising Rider 79-46Nov 20, 2009 - 2:46 AM By HANK KURZ Jr. AP Sports Writer
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.(AP) -- Mike Scott had 17 points and nine rebounds Thursday night, leading Virginia to a 79-46 victory against Rider in the Cancun Challenge.
The Cavaliers (2-1) held Rider to 33.3 percent shooting (17-for-51), ending a fast start to the season that saw the Broncs (2-1) average 87 points in beating Mississippi State and Lehigh.
Scott had 13 points in the first half, which ended with Virginia ahead 36-22.
The Cavaliers used a 14-3 run to start the second half to stretch the margin to 50-25 with 15 minutes left. The Broncs never got any closer.
Sammy Zeglinski added 12 points and Jeff Jones 11 for the Cavaliers.
The Broncs, who arrived with three players averaging 17.5 points or more, got nine points from Ryan Thompson, 8.5 below his average. Mike Ringgold had eight, more than 15 below his average, and Novar Gadson had just three, 17 off his norm. Brandon Penn scored 10.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
RIDER 22 24 46
VIRGINIA 36 43 79 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: RIDER - BRANDON PENN 10, RYAN THOMPSON 9, MIKE
VIRGINIA - MIKE SCOTT 17, SAMMY ZEGLINSKI 12,
JEFF JONES 11
Nov 19 8:39 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
RIDER 22 22
VIRGINIA 36 36 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
RIDER - MIKE RINGGOLD 8, BRANDON PENN 4, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 3
VIRGINIA - MIKE SCOTT 13, MUSTAPHA FARRAKHAN 6,
THREE PLAYERS WITH 4
Nov 19 7:43 PM
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Brogdon, Gill look to help Virginia make deep run in tourney Mar 14
- Virginia's Brogdon: Lost year was a 'blessing' in disguise Mar 4
- No. 7 Tar Heels, No. 3 Cavaliers meet in marquee ACC matchup Feb 27