Gibbs' 20 lead Pitt past Colonels 71-60Nov 20, 2009 - 2:09 AM By ALAN ROBINSON AP Sports Writer
PITTSBURGH(AP) -- Ashton Gibbs scored 20 points and Pittsburgh began pulling away by holding Eastern Kentucky scoreless for more than eight minutes during a 71-60 victory on Thursday night, the Panthers' 24th in a row at home.
Gibbs, who scored 22 against Binghamton on Tuesday, had seven points during a 13-0 run that began with 6:57 remaining in the first half and ended with Pitt leading 41-24.
The Panthers (3-0) rarely allowed the Colonels (1-1) more than one shot on a possession, doubling them in rebounds most of the game before finishing with a 47-25 advantage.
Justin Stommes scored 24 for Eastern Kentucky, which played its first game against a major college opponent this season.
Pitt has won 41 in a row on its home court against non-conference opponents, two off the school record.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
EASTERN KENTUCKY 24 36 60
PITTSBURGH 39 32 71 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: EASTERN KENTUCKY - JUSTIN STOMMES 24, SPENCER PERRIN 11,
JOSH TAYLOR 11
PITTSBURGH - ASHTON GIBBS 20, NASIR ROBINSON 15,
LAMAR PATTERSON 10
Nov 19 8:49 PM
- NCAA BB
EASTRN KENTUCKY 24
PITTSBURGH 39 HALFTIME
Nov 19 7:45 PM
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- Young, Jeter lead Pitt past St. Joseph's (Ind), 84-43 Nov 17
- Buffalo rolls over Div. III Pitt-Bradford 109-49 Nov 14
- Pitt faces stiff test in opener against No. 9 Gonzaga Nov 12
- Pittsburgh Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Pitt Panthers looking to get back to basics Oct 26