Nelson scores 18 to lead Niagara past Howard 82-77Nov 20, 2009 - 6:17 PM DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.(AP) -- Anthony Nelson scored 18 points and Rob Garrison and Bilal Benn added 17 points apiece in Niagara's 82-77 victory over Howard at the Glenn Wilkes Classic on Friday.
Calvin Thompson had 28 points and Mike Phillips added 16 for Howard (0-3).
Howard trailed by 16 in the first half, but got within 60-58 with eight minutes left after Thompson hit a short jumper and then setup a basket by Kandi Mukole.
Niagara (2-1) responded by outscoring Howard 14-3, including a fast-break basket by Garrison, to take a 74-61 lead. Thompson's 3-point play cut Howard's deficit to 81-75 with 23 seconds to go.
Garrison and Benn both had 11 points in the first half to help Niagara take a 50-37 lead at the break.
- Niagara edges Marist 69-66 Jan 28
- Niagara names Casey new men's hoops coach Apr 22
- Cooley, No. 22 Notre Dame cruise past Niagara Dec 22
- Notre Dame puts perfect home mark on line against Niagara Dec 21
- No. 17 Kansas downs Howard Dec 30
- Kansas welcomes Howard to Lawrence Dec 29
- Indiana thumps Howard Dec 19
- Bison seek upset of undefeated Hoosiers Dec 19
- No. 18 Georgetown downs Howard Dec 10
- Bison face tall task in bout with 18th-ranked Hoyas Dec 10
- No. 24 Missouri routs Niagara Nov 17
- Niagara faces tall task in clash with No. 24 Missouri Nov 17