Tenn.-Martin holds off Harris-Stowe 79-67Nov 20, 2009 - 11:44 PM MARTIN, Tenn.(AP) -- Reuben Clayton scored 21 points to lead Tennessee-Martin in a 79-67 win over Harris-Stowe, notching the first career victory for new coach Jason James on Friday.
Dominique Mpondo scored 16 points, grabbed eight rebounds and tallied two blocked shots for the Skyhawks (1-2). Benzor Simmons added 14 points and Terrance Coleman finished with 13.
The Skyhawks took a 39-24 haltime lead, and held onto win despite being outscored by the Hornets (3-4) 43-40 in the second half.
Tennessee-Martin hit 23 free throws compared to 12 by the Hornets, and outrebounded Harris-Stowe 35-22.
Harris-Stowe shot 53.1 percent from the field (26-for-49) compared to just a 44.8 percent mark (26-for-58) for the Skyhawks.
James, who was an assistant on the Skyhawks' coaching staff for the last seven seasons, is the second-youngest head coach in Division I.
- Bulldogs seek to ground Skyhawks Dec 22
- Tennesse-Martin tabs Schroyer as new hoops coach Mar 21
- Tennesse-Martin hoops coach James won't return Mar 3
- Wright, Cincinnati down UT-Martin Nov 11
- Bearcats battle Skyhawks to begin 2012-13 campaign Nov 11
- Murray State remains perfect in win over Skyhawks Feb 4
- No. 22 Murray State opens conference play with win Dec 22
- Mississippi State routs UTM Nov 26
- Skyhawks face tall task in clash with 24th-ranked Bulldogs Nov 25
- Louisville levels UT-Martin Nov 11
- No. 9 Louisville kicks off campaign against UT-Martin Nov 11
- Buckeyes roll to 60-point win over UT-Martin Dec 27