Torrance leads Alabama over Providence 84-75Nov 21, 2009 - 4:02 AM TUSCALOOSA, Ala.(AP) -- Mikhail Torrance scored 26 points and came up with a key three-point play to lift Alabama over Providence 84-75 on Friday night.
After Andrew Steele's layup gave Alabama a 76-75 lead with 1:10 left, Torrance came up with a steal, drove the length of the floor and converted the basket plus the foul with 0:44 seconds left to put the Crimson Tide (2-1) up 79-75.
Torrance then went 3-for-4 from the free-throw line and Senario Hillman dunked the ball with 14 seconds left to hand the Friars (3-1) their first loss of the season.
Providence led 37-33 at halftime, but shot just 34.3 percent (12-for-35) in the second half while Alabama shot 53.3 percent (16-for-30).
Justin Knox added 13 points and 10 rebounds for Alabama and JaMychal Green had 15 points and 12 boards.
Jamine Peterson led the Friars with 27 points and 14 rebounds. Marshon Brooks added 22.
- NCAA BB
ALABAMA 84 FINAL
Nov 20 10:08 PM
- NCAA BB
ALABAMA 33 HALFTIME
Nov 20 8:50 PM
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- Obasohan helps lead Alabama into NCAA tourney contention Feb 18
- Johnson, Bama's tough run starts with No. 15 Texas A&M Feb 9
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4