Iowa shooting heats up; Bowling Green falls 68-46Nov 21, 2009 - 4:04 AM IOWA CITY, Iowa(AP) -- The struggling Iowa Hawkeyes found their touch Friday night and defeated Bowling Green 68-46 in a non-conference game.
The Hawkeyes (1-2) had shot only 32.7 percent from the field and 20.4 percent on 3-pointers while dropping their first two games for the first time since the 1970-71 campaign.
But they shot much better against the Falcons (1-2). Iowa hit 12 of 25 3-pointers for 48.0 percent and shot 47.1 percent overall for the game.
Freshman Eric May drilled four 3-pointers and led a balanced attack with 16 points. Matt Gatens added 14 points and Anthony Tucker 13. Marc Larson led Bowling Green with 12 points.
The Hawkeyes were in danger of starting a season 0-3 for the first time in 90 years, but they righted the ship against Bowling Green. Iowa missed seven of its first eight shots but used a 10-0 run to quickly take control.
- NCAA BB
BOWLING GREEN 46
IOWA 68 FINAL
Nov 20 10:49 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
BOWLING GREEN 20 20
IOWA 33 33 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
BOWLING GREEN - MARC LARSON 8, JOE JAKUBOWSKI 3,
SCOTT THOMAS 3
IOWA - MATT GATENS 8, THREE PLAYERS WITH 6
Nov 20 9:45 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- Guard Mike Gesell blossoms into unheralded star for Iowa Mar 8
- No. 8 Iowa suffers damaging 68-64 loss at Ohio State Feb 28
- Iowa controls Big Ten destiny despite loss to Penn State Feb 22
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics Feb 10
- Iowa surges into Top 25 with strong Big Ten start Jan 5
- Iowa athletics staffer files discrimination suit vs school Nov 4