Southern Mississippi edges Montana State 66-62Nov 22, 2009 - 4:14 AM BOZEMAN, Mont.(AP) -- Junior forward Gary Flowers scored a game-high 18 points, including seven straight in the final 1 minute 22 seconds, to help Southern Mississippi rally from a 13-point second-half deficit to defeat Montana State 66-62 on Saturday night.
The Golden Eagles (3-0) were trailing 51-38 with 11:47 to play when they went on a 19-2 run to lead 57-53 with 4:14 remaining.
Montana State (1-2) tied it at 57 on a basket by junior forward Bobby Howard with 2:44 to go, but Flowers scored Southern Mississippi's next seven points - including a free throw with 39.4 seconds to go that put the Golden Eagles ahead for good.
Angelo Johnson's two free throws with 8.9 seconds remaining clinched it for Southern Mississippi after the Bobcats' Branden Johnson hit a 3-pointer to get Montana State within 64-62.
Howard led the Bobcats with 15 points.
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN MISS 66
MONTANA ST 62 FINAL
Nov 21 10:49 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN MISS 25
MONTANA ST 31 HALFTIME
Nov 21 9:41 PM
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- Kentucky crushes Montana St. Nov 23
- Top-ranked Kentucky continues run against Montana State Nov 23
- NCAA reviewing Southern Miss men's hoops Nov 6
- Southern Miss names Sadler men's hoops coach May 1
- No. 9 Louisville stifles Southern Miss en route to win Nov 29
- Cardinals set sights on red-hot Golden Eagles Nov 29
- Memphis outlasts Southern Miss for 3rd straight C-USA crown Mar 16
- C-USA crown on line in clash between Southern Miss and Memphis Mar 16
- No. 21 Memphis rolls past Southern Miss Feb 23
- Tigers put C-USA perfection on the line against Golden Eagles Feb 23