Crawford helps UAB knock off Georgia 72-56Nov 22, 2009 - 3:16 AM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Howard Crawford scored 17 of his 21 points in the second half to help Alabama-Birmingham defeat Georgia 72-56 on Saturday night.
The Blazers (4-1) fell behind 3-0 in the opening minute, then scored 12 consecutive points and never trailed again. UAB was aided by six Georgia turnovers in under 4 minutes.
The Blazers built a 23-6 lead barely 7 minutes into the game before Georgia (1-2) rallied with an 11-0 run to close the gap to 23-17. UAB responded with 10 consecutive points on the way to a 35-22 halftime score and maintained a double-digit lead the rest of the way.
Crawford sank three 3-pointers in the second half and Jamarr Sanders scored 13 of his 16 points after halftime.
Dustin Ware led Georgia with 17 points and Jeremy Price added 13. Trey Thompkins, who entered the game averaging a team-best 19.5 points per game, managed only four points on 2-for-11 shooting.
- Georgia's Juwan Parker granted medical redshirt May 23
- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Apr 20
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- McGarity believes Georgia program still growing with Fox Mar 30
- J.J. Frazier keeps believing, keeps shooting for Georgia Mar 4
- Georgia bracing for road trips to LSU and No. 17 Baylor Jan 25
- Georgia looking for turnaround following ugly loss to Aggies Jan 19
- Georgia defeats Robert Morris 79-67 Dec 29
- Georgia Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Georgia's Fox pushing for consistency after reaching NCAAs Oct 29
- Mann, Gaines looking to push Georgia to new heights Oct 23