Southern Methodist tops Florida Gulf Coast 79-62Nov 22, 2009 - 3:34 AM DALLAS(AP) -- Paul McCoy and Mouhammad Faye scored 18 points apiece Saturday night as Southern Methodist defeated Florida Gulf Coast 79-62.
The score was 31-31 at the half, but McCoy's 3-pointer on the Mustangs' first possession of the second half put them ahead for good. Justin Haynes contributed 17 points off the bench for SMU (1-2), which led by as much as 19 points and shot 60 percent in the second half as Faye and McCoy each scored 13 points after halftime. McCoy and Papa Dia had eight rebounds each for the Mustangs.
Reggie Chambers and Derrick O'Neil scored 12 points each to lead Florida Gulf Coast (0-3).
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- 'Oi Oi Oi!': SMU signs 2nd Australian for men's basketball May 2
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- Last dance at SMU for Nic Moore won't be in NCAA Tournament Mar 5
- No longer perfect, NCAA-banned No. 13 SMU still AAC leader Jan 29
- SMU player caught up in sanctions plans to transfer Jan 15
- No. 10 SMU seeks 'crazy special' year without NCAA return Jan 12
- Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown back for No. 10 SMU Jan 11
- Larry Brown not on No. 15 SMU bench after halftime Jan 10
- Keith Frazier still away from No. 15 SMU for personal issues Jan 6
- SMU's Brown set for return after 9-game NCAA suspension Dec 21
- SMU opener marks start of Larry Brown's NCAA suspension Nov 12