North Carolina State beats Austin Peay 66-59Nov 22, 2009 - 3:51 AM DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.(AP) -- Tracy Smith's three-point play in the final minute helped North Carolina State thwart a late comeback bid by Austin Peay and escape with a 66-59 victory on Saturday night.
Smith hadn't been a factor in the second half because of foul trouble at the Glenn Wilkes Classic. But after the Wolfpack (3-0) saw a 16-point halftime lead trimmed to four with 1:06 remaining, the junior forward scored on a putback and also hit the free throw after he was fouled on the shot.
The Governors (1-3) trailed 37-21 at halftime before nearly pulling off a repeat of their win at Akron a week ago in which they came back from 15 down in the second half.
Smith finished with 16 points and Dennis Horner scored 15 for N.C. State.
Smith, one of two returning starters from last season, had 11 points and five rebounds in the first half, but picked up his third foul 6 minutes into the second half.
- NCAA BB
AUSTIN PEAY 59
NC STATE 66 FINAL
Nov 21 9:59 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
AUSTIN PEAY 21 21
NORTH CAROLINA STATE 37 37 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
AUSTIN PEAY - ANTHONY CAMPBELL 5, DURAN ROBERSON 5,
MARCEL WILLIAMS 5
NORTH CAROLINA STATE - TRACY SMITH 11, JULIUS MAYS 6,
DESHAWN PAINTER 6
Nov 21 8:57 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Coach Dave Loos returning as Austin Peay coach Apr 5
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Top-seeded Kansas opens tournament play vs. Austin Peay Mar 16
- Gottfried, Wolfpack focused on returning to NCAAs next year Mar 15
- NC State assistant Moxley moving to support role after year Mar 6
- NC State's Barber carries heavy load for struggling Wolfpack Mar 4
- Wolfpack's Henderson still working back from ankle injury Feb 5