Utah wins 88-48 over Southern UniversityNov 22, 2009 - 4:15 AM SALT LAKE CITY(AP)Marshall Henderson scored 13 and Jordan Cyphers added 12 as Utah got off to a quick start and cruised to an 88-48 win over Southern university Saturday night.
By halftime, Jordan Cyphers scored three 3-pointers in matching his career-high with 12 points and Utah led 52-17. Most of Utah starters played sparingly in the second half.
Jazz Williams scored 21 points and Earnest Jones had 15 for Southern (0-3), which was outrebounded by the taller Utes 53-27.
Henderson's two free throws gave Utah a 27-6 lead midway through the first half. The lead grew to 50 points at 81-31 when Shawn Glover made a shot in the lane with 8:49 to play in the game.
Southern missed their first 12 attempts from the field. Jameel Grace finally made a layup with 11:14 left in the first half, the Jaguars' only 2-point basket of the half.
- Utah center Jakob Poeltl declares for NBA draft Apr 13
- Gonzaga's Sabonis gets best of Utah's Poeltl Mar 20
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Seniors Taylor, Loveridge have No. 13 Utah rolling to finish Mar 3
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Athletic big man Jakob Poeltl shines in post for Utah Feb 16
- Utah coach Krystkowiak says time to put 'big boy pants' on Feb 9
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6