Iowa State beats Mississippi Valley State 96-55Nov 22, 2009 - 9:08 PM AMES, Iowa(AP) -- Craig Brackins scored 28 points and grabbed 12 rebounds and Iowa State got its game together after a sluggish start to rout Mississippi Valley State 96-55 on Sunday.
Marquis Gilstrap added 21 points for the Cyclones (4-0), who trailed by four early before finishing the first half with a 29-6 run to take control. Iowa State started that burst with 16 straight points and was never challenged again.
The game was part of the Chicago Invitational. Iowa State will host Tennessee State on Tuesday night, then travel to Chicago to play Saint Louis on Friday. MVSU (1-3) plays at Saint Louis on Tuesday.
Julius Cheeks led MVSU with 17 points and Amos Studivant scored 14. The Delta Devils led 14-10 less than 8 minutes into the game, but managed only eight points the rest of the half.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MISSISSIPPI VALLEY S 22 33 55
IOWA STATE 44 52 96 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE - JULUIS CHEEKS 17, AMOS STUDIVANT 14,
JASON HOLMES 5
IOWA STATE - CRAIG BRACKINS 28, MARQUIS GILSTRAP 21,
SCOTT CHRISTOPHERSON 10
Nov 22 3:53 PM
- NCAA BB
MISS VALLEY ST 22
IOWA ST 44 HALFTIME
Nov 22 2:51 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Iowa State's Niang honed his craft guarding Nerlens Noel Mar 18