Western Carolina routs Ark.-Monticello 70-44Nov 24, 2009 - 4:14 AM CULLOWHEE, N.C.(AP) -- Harouna Mutombo scored 17 points to lead Western Carolina in a 70-44 rout of Division II Arkansas-Monticello on Monday night.
Mike Williams added 13 points and Brandon Giles had 10 for the Catamounts (2-1). Mutombo finished 2-for-3 from beyond the arc.
The Catamounts, coming off a loss to No. 3 Texas, capitalized on 23 Arkansas-Monticello turnovers to seal the win in the O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic.
The Catamounts took a 30-17 lead at the half and outscored the Boll Weevils (1-3) 40-27 in the second frame.
Gil Verner was the lone Boll Weevils player in double figures, scoring 14 points.
The Catamounts shot 49.2 percent from the field in the game (29-for-59) compared to just a 32.7 percent mark (16-for-49) for the Boll Weevils.
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Young leads Oregon past Western Carolina Nov 14
- Whittington, Georgetown down Western Carolina Dec 15
- Catamounts seek upset of 15th-ranked Hoyas Dec 15
- Richardson leads No. 13 Illinois past Western Carolina Dec 5
- No. 13 Illinois plays host to Western Carolina Dec 4
- Davidson takes home Southern Conference title Mar 6
- SoCon title tilt pits Catamounts against Wildcats Mar 5
- Sullinger, No. 2 Ohio State beat Catamounts Dec 12
- Wofford defeats Western Carolina 77-58 Mar 7