Mays leads Youngstown State over Geneva 88-47Nov 25, 2009 - 3:47 AM YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio(AP) -- DeAndre Mays scored 18 points and hit four of Youngstown State's 11 3-pointers as the Penguins routed Geneva 88-47 on Tuesday night.
Youngstown State (3-2) shot 50.8 percent from the field (32-for-63) in its final home game until Dec. 22, while Geneva was 18-for-53 (34 percent).
Playing the Penguins for the first time since 1971, the Golden Tornadoes (1-3) took a 7-4 lead with 16:35 left in the first half.
Youngstown State then held Geneva, a Division III school, to two field goals over the next 9:30 to lead 23-11, with Mays contributing nine points.
The Penguins led 39-23 at halftime.
T.J. Bevilacqua, who had 17 points and eight rebounds to lead Geneva, scored five straight points to cut the lead to 11, but Youngstown State responded with eight straight points to pull away.
Ashen Ward added 11 points, seven rebounds and three of the Penguins' 13 steals.
- Youngstown State beats Robert Morris 65-58 Dec 2
- Youngstown St. tops N. Dakota 79-69 for Slocum's 700th win Nov 23
- Wisconsin-Green Bay ousts Youngstown State 81-67 Mar 2
- Detroit defeats Youngstown State 62-54 Feb 27
- Wright State edges Youngstown State 76-73 Feb 25
- UC Riverside slips past Youngstown State 62-60 Feb 20
- Wisconsin-Milwaukee tops Youngstown State 64-62 Feb 15
- Valparaiso gets past Youngstown State 77-75 Feb 13
- No. 18 Butler tops Youngstown State 68-57 Feb 11
- Butler-Youngstown St. Preview Feb 10
- Illinois-Chicago defeats Youngstown State, 74-68 Feb 6
- Loyola of Chicago edges Youngstown State 92-85 Feb 4